The Genetics of Maize
People have used corn for thousands of years and selected many different kinds of corn. Learn about the genetics of this crop from ancient to modern times.
- Where did corn originate and what is its closest wild relative? What genetic changes occurred during corn's domestication?
- Maize has many variations, developed over hundreds or even thousands of years. What does this diversity look like and why did people select for different maize varieties?
- The genetic diversity (germplasm) of maize is important for developing new desirable traits and protecting crops against new pests and diseases. Where are these genetic resources stored?
- Scientists now know the entire DNA sequence of maize. Where is genetic research going now?
- Molecular techniques allowed geneticists to develop maize varieties with traits introduced from genes from different species (GMOs). What are the controversies concerning genetically modified maize?